Lesson 6: At the Cinema
During this lesson you will have a chance to enjoy a film. Choose a film, watch it, and analyse it. The film can be of any genre: a thriller, action, horror, western, romance, comedy etc.. The only stipulation is that is has to be in English. It would be an excellent idea to hide the subtitles if possible…
Before you start writing the analysis, you might find it useful to take a look at some appropriate guidelines and terminology, for example on the following pages:
Film Analysis www.studyguide.org/fillmterms.htm
Film Analysis Guide http://classes.yale.edu/film-analysis/index.htm
Exercise 6.1 A Film Analysis
Watch a film and write an analysis of it. The length of your text should be about 250–300 words. Include the following points in your analysis – not necessarily in this order:
- Your first impressions of the film
- A specific scene that impressed you. Why did that one in particular impress you?
- The starting point of the film (time, place, main characters, relations between the characters, what had happened before the film started etc.)
- The plot / the most important events in chronological order
- The theme(s) of the film. What is the main theme? Are there any secondary themes?
- The leading idea / the message of the film – in one sentence. What ways of expression are used to show or emphasize this message?
- The style of the film
- The tempo (= the impression of speed that the film brings about in the spectator) and the rhythm of the film. Are there any changes in the tempo during the film?
- What you think about the actresses’ and actors’ performances. Are the characters credible? Do the main characters succeed in their roles?
- What you would have done differently if you had directed this film
- How many stars (1-5) you would you grant the film
- How well you were able to follow the dialogue without Finnish subtitles
(Guidelines based on Juntunen, Max. 1997. Elävän kuvan sanasto. Helsinki: Edita)
Tehtävä arvioidaan arvosanalla 4-10.
Please submit your analysis in the box below. Your teacher will assess this exercise as part of your portfolio.
Otavan Opisto / Tarja Männikkö, Arto Silén ja Heli Viitanen